Wednesday, June 1, 2011

All By Myself--but feelin the love....

Now, this may seem like an odd thing to be excited about, but these last few weeks I am excited to have a classroom all to myself.  I am working one on one with kids who are needing some extra help or who just work better without the normal classroom setting.  I take these kids out of their classroom and encourage them to work hard and finish what they have in front of them.  These last few weeks are vital because whatever the kids don't finish before next Wednesday, they will have to start over next fall when they come back.  We want these students to learn the information and know it so they can start on a good note next year.  

The kids love coming to my classroom.  As they walk by I hear whispers of "Miss Cassie, can I work in here today?" or "Miss Cassie, I need help in my math."  They are so funny.  They get so excited when I show up behind them and say, "Bring your PACEs and come with me..."  Because I am no longer the principal, I am no longer the threat.  They love to get the attention and help that I am intentional to give them.  Some are definitely more excited than others, but I pour into them all day long and try to help them understand as much as they can.  

In the past week, I have noticed something else as well.  I have gotten a new nickname here at Canaan.  The students don't call me "Miss Cassie" as often anymore because the last part of my name sounds like the Creole word for "sour".  They have started to call me "Miss Ca-dous" which means "sweet".  I am feeling loved here by the students for sure with the  new nickname, the classroom, and the smiles and hugs I have been getting.  I keep praying that I will continue to be a light and will be able to love on these kids until the day I leave Canaan and will remember to pray for them long after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment