Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Plot and A Result

Sometimes God surprises us with the most wonderful things!  Last Friday, a wonderful man asked me to marry him and it was a wonderful time!  Here is our story of that day.  :)

His Story:

Plot against Cassie :)

Friday 14th, 4pm was going to be, in other words, my proposal day. One week before I emailed Jim (a good friend and boss) about my plan that I titled "plot against Cassie."  It took me a little while to think about it and I just emailed him my thoughts and his reply was really encouraging.  He sounded really excited about it.

My plan sounded great to my brothers, my dad, my mom, and my sister as well and some friends that I also told about it.  Jim came to Haiti the 11th with a group of five youth pastors to learn about the vision of pastors that Praying Pelican Missions is partnering with. We spent 4 days together and those pastors left in the morning of the 14th. 


We had a whole day off and Cassie was so excited to to something fun that day and hang out with me and be ready for the team that was going to come the day after, October 15th.  After dropping the team off Jim and I headed to Petion Ville to a jewelry place called "Rivoli" by 8ish and when we got there, it was not opened yet and we had to wait until 9. Meanwhile, Cassie kept texting me, "Al, where are you at?" "I am hungry and jealous of you guys."  I told her that I was having breakfast at La Maison, a nice restaurant by the airport. And tic: my watch said 9 and Rivoli doors were opened!  

"Oh my goodness, this is ridiculous!" I thought.  "I have never seen such a place...not even in Minneapolis," said Jim. And I freaked out looking at the prices of the rings cause I couldn't afford    That much for the rings and the ones that I thought she would love were tagged 1000-1200-1500.... So Rivoli was not an option.  It was too expensive so we ran away.  We were trying to find another jewelry place but unfortunately we couldn't find any other rings than fake ones.

I called my cousin and my sister to ask them if they knew some jewelry places and good news, my sister referred me to the office manager of her church cause they used to sell rings to the church members.  That sounded sweet to me and right away we headed to carrefour where that Church is located, with a dozen of roses that I grabbed at a flower place. 11am was coming up and Cassie got tired of texting me and got mad and went to sleep.  She was so upset with that Jim and I were lying to her pretending being stuck in traffic on their way from the airport after a long imaginary breakfast...

Finally, I found a nice golden ring with a band with 3 diamonds that I liked.  Jim liked it and thought Cassie would like it too. And we head back to Cote Plage by 12ish. I found her sleeping and upset. Anyways, I, Jim, Jean Delcy and her headed to a restaurant to have lunch. We left the restaurant at 3ish knowing that I had class at 4. So, Jim dropped me off at Cote Plage and the three of went to a super market on the main road just to give me enough time to shower and head to the guesthouse. 


4 came up, my family was already on their way to the guesthouse and so was Madam Samson and some friends. So, Jim came back to Cote Plage and asked her to take him to that guesthouse that I told him about just to see it and potentially having teams staying there....finally, they got there, walking by the pool, take a tour in the dining room....and once she found a seat, I had my family and friends greeting her and hugging her one by one. "Oh my goodness! What in the world am I seeing?" she said. 

I was the last one showing up behind her and Jim asked her to turn around while he was taping with his video camera. And I just leaned on one knee presenting her my roses and slid the ring in her ring finger and proposed her: "Cassie, will you marry me?" and I had a quick positive answer followed by a nice, long hug in return and some tears and some smiles and a clap. At 6 I treated her to a dinner with my family and friends and her day ended in tears of awesomeness.

Her Story:


It was going to be a great day! I could feel it. The week had been a good one—visiting ministry sites and pastors we partner with. I was ready for our day off. Jim and Almando headed for the airport with the team and said they would be back by 9 so we could have the day to hang out. I decided to do my laundry in the sink while I waited. I hung it on the line on the roof and continued to wait. 9 came and went. So did 10. By the time 11 rolled around, I decided to lie down. I worked on my blog and fell asleep. While I was sleeping, it rained. My day had turned cloudy.

They finally got back and we decided to go eat at a restaurant down the street. We sat there for hours playing Uno until it was time for Almando to go to class. I was disappointed with my great day but decided to make the best of it as Jim, Tonton, and I went to buy snacks and check out a guesthouse in the area. I knew of the guesthouse and offered to show them around. We walked in and went towards the pool. I started to go towards where the actual rooms were but Jim wanted to go to the dining area to see if he could get wifi. We went in and sat down.

I started telling Jim about how I knew about the guesthouse and was starting to wonder why there were unrecognizable figures outside the window. Rodney, Almando's brother, walked in dressed up. I greeted him and asked him what he was doing there. He asked me where Almando was. I told him that Al was at class. Then another member of the family walked in—all dressed up. Some of my friends and my Haitian mom, Madame Samson, followed as well. Everyone dressed up.

I started to realize what was going on and couldn't stand anymore. I sat down and Jim told me I should maybe turn around. I turn and in one sweeping motion Al is in front of me on one knee with a dozen roses and a ring. These are the moments little girls dream of. “Do you want to marry me?”

At this point my heart is racing, I can't breathe, and I am beat red. I say, “Yes!” of course and give him a big hug—feeling really under-dressed as I am wearing the clothes I had been wearing all day. I stand up and hug him again—really embarrassed, excited, and happy.

Once I am greeted again by all the family we all sit down again. They all look at me and tell Al to get me some water. His mom was so scared that I was going to pass out. She thought the surprise wasn't good for my heart. They all thought it was different for me to be surprised because here the couple plans this kind of event together where both families come together to celebrate the engagement.

We had some time before dinner was ready so I took a couple of minutes to call my family in the states to tell them the news. Everyone was so excited! The Jean Louis family sat out by the pool waiting for dinner. They kept asking me if I was okay. And if I was excited. Of course, I was excited!

We sat down and had a nice dinner together. We spent time talking and eating, but not too much time because it was getting to be time to head back home. We thanked everyone for coming and jumped into the car. Madame Samson came with us. When we dropped her off, Al and I hopped out of the car too! I had to tell my Haitian family what happened!

Jose was getting her hair done when I walked in and she was upset with me because I hadn't seen her in a few days. I told her that I had been busy and now I had a fiance and she forgave me instantly! Samia got confused and thought it was my birthday, but when she figured it out she jumped up and hugged me again! It was so fun to have people so excited with me!

When I saw Pastor Samson the next day (I call him Papa Sam), he asked me if I was happy and wanted to see the ring. I keep turning red as more and more people keep learning of the engagement. I am so happy!

And the rest is history! We are engaged and are so excited to see what God has in store for our future together! We are truly seeking His will as we pray through the life of ministry that is in front of us.

I am so blessed that God has brought Almando and me together. I couldn't have asked for a better man. Almando is always seeking, serving, and praising the Lord. God has given him a passion for children, education, and worship. 

Both:

We know that God is in our relationship and ask that you would pray for us. Pray that God would remain the center of our relationship. We know that without God, we would have never even met. And we know that we cannot proceed without Him. We desire that every bit of our lives would glorify Him!

Pointing to Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Cassie!! (and Almondo!!)I am so glad you posted this. I was smiling the whole time I was reading...both stories!! Congratulations, I am so SO very happy to see that this is where the Lord has brought you and that such wonderful things are happening in the place he has called you. Thank you, Al, for being such a man of God. This is such great news!! =)

    xoxo, praying for you both~Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED reading this wonderful story! It brings a HUGE smile to my face. Congratulations to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go to both of you for making the day special. Al, love your wit and sense of humor but most of all I love your passion for Jesus. You guys are going to make a great team. God's blessings be with you and may you continue to glorify God. Love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you both so much! Al, I am so glad that you made my sister's engagement story so special! I cannot wait to meet you and get to you know as a member of our family. Cassie, I am so happy you have met the man of your dreams! God is truly working in both of your lives and He will do great things through your life together! Thank you for sharing! Chelsa

    ReplyDelete