Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Smell of Clean Laundry...

After over a week here at Canaan, I am feeling comfortable in my surroundings--including my school uniform.  I definitely look like a teacher, although I am not teaching.  During school, I attend opening exercises where the children pray, sing one of the national anthems while the Haitian flag is being raised, and pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Bible; I work on my own homework so I will be able to help the students with homework; and work on a variety of projects whether that means sorting through or hauling books up a hill in very large and heavy bags or cleaning and organizing in an office with too many mosquitoes to count, a rat, a live and dead lizard, and many spiders...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God!  :)

I am hoping that I am being a blessing here and praying that God will continue to give me patience for myself as I work to learn the language and figure out what my niche will be here for the next several months.  I know that He is faithful and I am trusting that He will continue to give me grace as I keep learning!

Speaking of learning, there are several different things come to mind.  I have learned:

  • that the English language is crazy hard to learn!
  • that going to sleep BEFORE the dogs start barking is KEY!
  • that rats do not always get caught in traps... and they like to play on tin roofs...
  • that it is so important to be willing to sound like a baby when speaking a new language...
  • that it gets chilly here at night
  • that I will always be learning and re-learning things about God!
  • that the smell of clean laundry coming off the line was my favorite smell today.
  • that cold showers DO feel good!
  • that the grace of God is sufficient for me.
  • that things aren't always as they seem, but God is always the same...yesterday, today, and forever!
Friends, keep praying for me and for the ministry of Canaan.  I'm still learning so much about the history and the people here and know that I am here to serve and learn with everything I've got!  Pray that I will continue to surrender daily and walk humbly with my God!  

3 comments:

  1. I think we need some pictures of the uniform :) Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Cassie! And if you are not being a blessing in Haiti (something I VERY MUCH doubt) you are for sure being one to us here in the home country. :) Just how big are those spiders??? Yikes! :) Praying for you my dear friend, can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never said anything to me about spiders!!!! What am I supposed to do about that...when I come???

    ReplyDelete