Monday, February 28, 2011

A Glorious Sunday!

I love Sundays!  What a great day when the people of God come together to worship the Lord!  He is so good and worthy of all honor and glory and praise!  Let me tell you about my Sunday at Canaan!

Mornings are very early here.  I didn't think mornings started so early, but when you wake up to the sounds of the women next door singing praises very early and the many nature sounds, mornings do start very early!  And that is very good.  I have come to love my mornings!  After getting ready for church, I head down to the cafeteria for breakfast with the crew and have my morning cup of coffee....very strong coffee!

Sunday School with the young women is really challenging because it is all in Creole!  We studied the existence of Satan this time and memorized 1 Peter 5:8.  I enjoy the memorization part because they repeat the same words over and over again so I can learn new words and try to figure out what they mean in the context of the verse.

Church starts around 9 or 9:30.  Everything is in Creole and I find myself picking up more words and phrases every day!  After the opening time of each class reciting the memorization verse from the day, we sit on hard wooden benches and sing along from the hymnal--if we can catch which number they say.  (I went to worship practice on Saturday night so I was prepared!)  Some of the older girls sit close by so they can help with translation.  There are times of prayer following the worship songs, then the party starts!  Pastor Joel grabs the tambourine and it's praising time.  We all stand and clap and dance and sway and sing to the King!  How wonderful it is to be praising the Lord together!

We have more beautiful prayers and praises, then it is time for the special music.  Anyone who has prepared something gives the leader of the service a note before the worship time begins.  They call them up by name.  The little girls love getting up and singing in English or in Creole.  This Sunday, Sanite, Marthe, and I had prepared a song, so when my name was called we all went up and sang about who God is and our response: to adore Him!

The music is finished, now the preaching begins.  Many different people share about God's grace for us and how we need Him.  They share testimonies of what God is doing in their lives.  It is a beautiful time!  God is so good!  There is a call for the people of the church to pray for revival in their own hearts and in their churches, their communities, and in Haiti.  We committed to pray at 5am and 9pm for 5 minutes each time for God to send revival here!  It is the cry of the people here!

After church, there was a time of fellowship and rest...last evening though we watched the sunset from up the hill.  I couldn't help but sing praises to the King!  Creation reveals His glory in an amazing way....

So, a Sunday in Haiti.  Beautiful.  Wonderful.  Praise be to God.  Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment