Monday, December 19, 2011

And That's Okay!

The permanency of my life in Haiti is becoming a reality.  I wake up in the mornings early to the sound of brooms swishing on cement, dishes clinking while being washed, and names being called from across the house to bring this or that here or there.  After I brush my teeth, I finish getting ready--usually braiding or twisting my hair, applying sunscreen to the tops of my ears and face, putting on another colorful skirt and t-shirt or blouse--before sitting down at the table for my sweet, thick cup of coffee.  I read, pray, and write while the bustle of the day swells around me and I notice that Pastor Samson is just about ready to go.

Today, this is exactly how my morning went.  Most mornings do.  However, this morning I realized, again, that this is my reality.  This is my life.  I am far from the family that I love, the place I grew up, and the traditions that I have been accustomed to.  So, this morning, I missed  my family in the states.  I missed them so much that there were rain drops--big ones--falling from my eyes.  I spent some time praying and asking God to give me His peace and comfort.  The peace and comfort that can only come from Him.  He does give comfort, cut what I realized today is that it is okay to miss my family sometimes.  It's okay in the midst of the busyness of ministry, life, and learning in Haiti to cry sometimes.  It's okay.

I knew for a long time that I was going to have a different life than many would expect.  I knew I probably wouldn't be living near my family.  I knew that it would probably hard to leave it all behind.  I was right.  It is hard.  And that's okay!

I look forward to many years of serving the Lord in Haiti alongside my soon-to-be husband as well as trusting the Lord that He will take care of us totally and completely.  I know that He will lead and guide us as we lean on Him.  I know that He has called us together.  And that's more than okay.

"I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted."  Job 42:2  That means even when it's hard.  That means even if I cry sometimes.  That means even in the big things.  That means even in the little things.  I KNOW THAT GOD CAN DO ALL THINGS.  And that's excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment