Monday, April 11, 2011

The Last Night

Last night marked the end of the 10 day "fair" celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Canaan.  The preparation and time put into this fair, the events that took place, and the people who showed up made these last 10 days very busy for many here at Canaan.  So many people came this weekend to celebrate with Sister Gladys and Pastor Henri.  Crowds of people from here in town, Port-au-Prince, and even further away came to be involved.  Last night there was choir after choir performing and giving praise to the Lord for all He has done.  The whole week has been like that with singing, dancing, preaching of the Word, and celebration.  I don't think I even made it through one whole evening of celebrating...I like my sleep too much!

Since the fair is finished, everyone at Canaan is exhausted.  The kids are ready to have structure back in their day with school, the adults are ready to have the kids back in school so they can find time to rest, and everyone is ready for an earlier bedtime for all!  Sister Gladys and Pastor Henri, along with so many others, have been going nonstop since at least a week before the fair began working on final preparations and making sure things would go as smoothly as possible.  Be praying for all the staff at Canaan who so desperately need a break and a time to rest!

As for me, I've been here for just about 2 months and am still loving each day I get to spend in Haiti.  Some are definitely better than others and some are very challenging, but I am so grateful that God has placed me here.  Every day I am greeted with smiles and hugs from some of the kids, friendly "Bon Jour"'s from the adults around, and am reminded by the beauty of these people and this place that God has brought me here for a purpose.  I'm looking forward to my Creole lessons getting back on track, my days to be put back in order, and my time with the girls to start being a time with true fellowship and growth.

Be praying for that last one!  It's been tough getting something going with these girls, but I have been praying about what truth I can speak into the lives of these girls in my remaining two months here at Canaan.  My heart aches for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment