Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oddities of Normality

It has occurred to me in the past several days that I now find things odd that I used to find normal and find odd things to be normal.  My world has changed and so has my perception.  What is normal anyway?

It is now normal to wake up and put on my school uniform.  I don't even have to think about what to wear.  It's normal to wear skirts all the time.  I have only worn capris or shorts to do my laundry.  It's normal to hang my clothes on the line in the middle of winter instead of dry them in a dryer.  It's normal to have to step over random sleeping dogs on my walk up and down the hill.  It's normal to have spaghetti for breakfast.  It's normal to greet people with a kiss.  It's normal to have a cold shower in the afternoon.  It's normal to slide on the gravel at least once a day.  It's normal to sleep under a mosquito net.  It's normal to see lizards on the ceilings, floors, walls, screens, sidewalks and behind the mirror in the bathroom.

So, because these thing are normal, it seems odd to see girls wearing pants.  It seems odd if there aren't dogs to step over.  It seems odd to think about a warm shower--although one without tadpoles would be appreciated.  It seems odd to think about walking on a smooth sidewalk.

These things are just normal to me.  I love this culture and these people.  I love to wear skirts and I enjoy my cool shower in the heat of the afternoon.  Lizards make me laugh when they chase each other or when they are playing in the leaves.

I still feel unbelievably blessed and humbled to be serving the Lord here.  It amazes me each day!  May God be glorified in my presence here.  Keep praying for me friends as I keep learning, serving, and loving here in Haiti!

1 comment:

  1. Blessings to you as you embrace your new normal!

    You are in our prayers, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete