Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Taste of Haiti

The question inevitably comes from people visiting Haiti: what should I bring home? There are the typical suggestions of a painting, wood crafts, jewelry, or painted tin carvings. But what should be brought home?

 If you are a person who likes trinkets and a lot of variety in the decor of your home, the typical suggestions may work well, but I have started to suggest a taste of Haiti. Three things I have decided are fun and fool proof gifts for family and friends (I also enjoy them) are Haitian peanut butter, Haitian vanilla, and Haitian coffee.

From time to time, I walk down my stairs and wonder "who is burning toast?" as I smell the air. Then I remember that it smells like burnt toast when someone is roasting coffee and it doesn't take long for the smell of freshly roasted coffee to take over the house. Mmmmmm. Here, they roast the coffee beans with the tiniest hint of natural cane sugar. This gives it the perfect sweetness. Haitian coffee is something you must try while you are here and something that will remind you of your time here every time you brew a cup!

Natural juice is something I miss when I am in the states. Tropical fruit juice just isn't the same in Minnesota. A secret ingredient in many Haitian juices is a splash of Haitian vanilla. For those who have been here and bought Haitian vanilla in the past, you know, it is so great for baking too! We have had participants ask to fill their suitcase with vanilla so they wouldn't run out before they come back to Haiti. 

You can get Haitian peanut butter two ways: spicy and non-spicy. Both ways are all natural, so they need mixing before each use but it is worth it. I prefer the spicy peanut butter. It just has a wonderful kick to it that goes so good with bread and jam. It's fun to see the reactions of people you serve this treat to, but it may be a good idea to warn then that this is not regular peanut butter!

People are always wondering if these food products are so good, how come we can't find them in the states? I'm sure there are international markets that have some of them, but I have no idea why these delicious products aren't exported. I am glad they are being produced and consumed here! For now, I love being able to bring back to the states a little taste of Haiti for my family and friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment