Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A suitcase?

A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from Al who was in Jacmel with a team. He was in the hospital. "Why? What happened? Are you okay? Can you drive?" My string of questions went on and on. I was really concerned and wanted to make sure he was okay. After I heard what happened and what the plan was going forward, I decided I would tell his parents what happened with his brother there to help me if I stumbled through my creole.

I proceeded to tell them the following: Al was in a little accident at the worksite. They were working and a suitcase fell on his head. He went to the hospital and has stitches now. He is okay. 

They looked at me-stunned. And asked me what they were doing with a suitcase at the work site and if it was big. 

I looked at Daniel, who looked at me and smiled. He asked me in English: didn't you tell me a hammer fell on his head? 

I looked at them-stunned. I had mixed up the word for hammer and suitcase--both start with a "ma" sound. I blushed. I laughed. I corrected myself. I left. Embarrassed.

Guess I still have lots to learn. Guess I needed humor in that situation too. 

Al came home the next day. Head shaved and a bandage right on top. He is doing great now. He also finds my language blooper a little funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment