Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Where does that leave me?

This week, Almando is in Pignon which is far away from Port-au-Prince and the road isn't the best.  He is leading a group of 25 people who are building a house for a beautiful little family and are working with the kids showing them the love of Jesus.  But, if Almando is there, where does that leave me?

I am in Petionville staying at Haiti Christian Orphanage with my missionary friend Marlo and working on my Creole with the boys here.  When I am not with the boys or sleeping (which I do a lot of), I am doing a variety of things.  Much different than what I do at home and sometimes similar.

On Sunday, I walked to church with Marlo and some of the boys.  But, it was a very different church than what I am used to.  We didn't use the hymnals, but we sang songs like "Majesty" and "Lord, Reign in Me" that had been translated into French and printed in the bulletin.  Sunday afternoon found me cooking my Easter meal.  It wasn't quite what mom would have prepared, but still very American.  Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and peas (the steamfresh ones you cook in the microwave).

After Marlo and I finished eating we headed to the bus terminal to meet the team (and see Almando) as they were passing through town. It was a quick visit, but so good.  We headed back up the hill by taptap to the orphanage and I finished the day with chocolate pudding.

My morning, yesterday, was full of taptaps and wandering uphill for what seemed like forever and then wandering back down after my business there was finished by noon.  Uno, laughter, language learning, and debates filled the afternoon as the boys filtered in and out.

The sounds are different here, the sights are different here, the atmosphere is different here.  A little change is doing me good.  For a little while.  I am working on some office stuff here and there this week and trying to help Al out as much as I can from here.  I know I will be ready to go home at the end of the week.  For this little while, I am glad for many distractions and many new things.  So, that's where I find myself this week.

Please be praying for Almando and the team while they are serving in Pignon and be praying for me as I am having a completely different set of experiences here in Petionville.  I look forward to the end of the week when we can be together again, but I know God is working on and in and through both of us separately right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment