Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hospitality is Key

During the last couple of weeks, we have been doing our fair share of hosting guests in our home.  I find this part of ministry wonderful and tiring.  We have been hosting pastors and friends in our home sharing with them what we are doing and what the vision of Praying Pelican Missions is in Haiti.  It has been great to be able to share this with others, but very tiring too!  Here's what those days look like.

We wake up early, have breakfast, and take some time for prayer before one of us heads into town to pick up our guests.  For this case--we will say Almando went to town.  Before he goes, we make a list of the things we need from the market to be able to make a wonderful meal for our guests.  Then, we usually send someone to the market for us.  After they leave, I sweep, mop, wash dishes, and begin preparing the meal (while listening to Christmas music of course).  I text Al to see how much time I have before they return.  I rush around always thinking of more things to do.  I shower, I finish cooking, and I try to set the table before they get back.

When they arrive, they tour the house while I'm finishing up.  I give them water (sometimes I need to be reminded about that one...) and we announce the the food is ready and call everyone to the table.  I serve the food and then sit down with everyone else.  I hear comments like "we are not used to this kind of food...is it good?" or "this is really good, we are used to eating it with rice."  I laugh to myself as the cultural differences in cooking are obvious even though the spices are the same--even the ingredients.  All goes well, we share our hearts and answer their questions.

At the end of the time, we usually pray together and Al says goodbye to me again as he brings our guests home.  I stand at the sink and do dishes wondering where the time and the food went.  I am happy that we shared our heart.  I am happy that they understand.  I am happy that they came.

Making those around us aware of who we are and what we are doing is so important as we have waited too long to do this in some cases so others thought we were avoiding them--when really we were simply busy working.  Relationships are needed in everyone's life--even here.  Being able to host people is such a blessing.  Knowing how to show hospitality is needed.  I am so grateful for these opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment