Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thankful

These last several weeks, I have realized how thankful I am for my wonderful Haitian family.  All of them have been a blessing to me lately in ways they probably would never think would be blessings.  From hearing the laughter of Al's 12 year old cousin when she plays tricks on me to making her laugh when I attempt to be funny in Creole.  Or the phone call from an uncle asking how I've been doing since I was sick.  The overall encouragement and support this family gives is amazing.  I don't think they signed up for the job of being Creole teacher, security guard, or errand runner, but they all help me out with all of these things almost on a daily basis.  

I was reminded of this the other day when a boy from the community stopped by the house, as I requested of him, and asked for me.  My family made sure that this boy really knew me and I really asked him to come see me.  I overheard them doing this and it felt like a hug saying "We are here.  We love you.  We will protect you."  I don't feel as though I need protection, but knowing that my family loves me in that little action was a blessing.

Each of Al's brothers, who live next door with the rest of the family, each have special qualities that I have loved from the beginning, but being around them more and more has made me appreciate each one greatly.  They are always willing to help me with anything--running to the market or putting hooks on my shelving.  It's a blessing to have them all close by to laugh with, worship with, or work with.

From immediate family to extended family, down here, I have been blessed.  Just as I am blessed with a wonderful family still in the states that I love and miss dearly.  For both of these families, I am thankful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment