Thursday, January 5, 2012

Random Thoughts I'd Like to Share

I have been having a lot of random thoughts lately and would like to share some with you as I have experienced life here in Haiti.

  1. I've always wondered why missionary women tend to braid their hair.  I still don't really know, but I braid my hair often--it adds a little variety to a ponytail.
  2. The chill in the air here in the evening, night, and early morning combined with the heat of the day really reminds me of a Minnesota early fall or late spring--no frost here though.
  3. Almost everyone here gets a cough during the winter months because of the lack of rain.  It is really dusty.  Even the trees aren't as green, but it's cool so a lot of people enjoy it.
  4. You can recognize a taxi by a red ribbon hanging from the rear-view mirror.  Good to know in downtown Port.
  5. Waiting for 3 hours at a hospital is sometimes frustrating--especially after the doctor I was waiting for was in his office the whole time, but the relief of finally getting what I need far out-weighs the frustration with JOY!
  6. Living with a family in Haiti is the best thing I could have done for the past several months.  They have adopted me and I have had a chance to learn what living in Haiti really looks like.
  7. I may be gone all day long, but only get couple of little things done.  Those little things MUST be looked at as important little things because they ARE.  They just take a lot of time to get done.
  8. Planning and preparing for too many things at once can be overwhelming.  Remembering that GOD is in control is KEY!
  9. When a small child on a tap tap turns to me and says "Blanc, wi?" (meaning "White Person, yes?"), I can't help but smile!  As the child turns to get off the tap tap and says "Orevwa, Blan."  I don't have a choice.  A smile, a wave, and a laugh is sure to follow.
  10. My favorite part of church has been when the whole church is worshiping and praising and suddenly, the power cuts out.  All that can be heard are the 3,000 voices singing praises to the Lord!  It's amazing!  It's beautiful!  I love it!
Praise the Lord for random thoughts.  For all the things I am learning.  For all the things He is teaching me.  For how He chooses to use me.  And that He calls me His child.  I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment