Thursday, July 17, 2014

Wednesday Evenings

This summer, we have had anywhere between 1 and 7 trips happening every week in different locations.  It has been amazing to hear all the stories about how God is working in each team, community, and staff member.  Since I have not necessarily been on a trip every week, but still have much responsibility to make sure trips happen well, I have been getting into a routine on Wednesday evenings (sometimes Thursdays).

I sit down with my computer and review the trips that will begin in the next week.  I double check that the staff are all assigned correctly and make any necessary changes.  Number changes, staff availability, and a number of other variables make changes almost inevitable.  For each trip that will begin, I start a "conversation" for all the staff on facebook.  The trip leader, assistant trip leaders, and interns all get a message reminding them that they have a trip to lead together.  They can use that message to communicate about what time to meet at the airport, whether or not to bring air mattresses, what ministries to look forward to and prepare for, and details about the team that is coming in as well as the community they will be serving.
Here is an example of what I sent this week:

Hey Pelicans! You all are going to be serving with a team north of PAP this week. You will be staying at a familiar lodging location, so that means you will have to be making sure of several things as soon as you get there--lights, water, garbage cans, toilets all working, etc. Please take initiative to make sure everything goes smoothly! Enjoy the week and let God use you all! GO MAD!

After this message is sent, it's up to the trip leader to make sure each individual staff member knows where to go and what to do.  Sometimes they do this in a text message, a call, or they simply add on to my message.

Another part of what I do on Wednesdays is go back through all the trips that are going to end in the next couple of days and send a message to all the staff members who have been serving this week.  I thank them for all they have done and ask that they would review the trip and let PPM know how they felt the trip went that week.  I enjoy doing these things and making sure everyone feels valued, informed, and important.  I am grateful for things like facebook that helps me communicate with everyone easily and coordinate everyone.

This is just a little peek into what I do behind the scenes to make sure each mission trip has the leaders in place and ready to serve with each team.  I know that I am working for the Lord, even in these little details as we continue to go through the summer.  It is all for His glory and fame!

Continue praying for all the teams that have come, the communities that they have served, and the staff who have served with them.  And, of course, be praying for the upcoming weeks as we still will be hosting many teams in many communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment