Saturday, August 31, 2013

Waterfall Rains

Well, I realized this week when I didn't recognize the weather patterns happening around me, that I had never spent a FULL August here in Haiti, even though I have been living here for almost 3 years.  This is the time of year for unpredictable weather and, since we are heading to late hurricane season, the potential of hurricanes.  I guess I never realized how different the weather actually was--until I started paying attention.  I am paying attention now as some of our nights have become incredibly steamy--even after a good rain--and I am incredibly grateful for my battery powered fan.

I noticed it first several weeks ago when the wind changed.  I don't know exactly how it changed but it felt different.  Then it stayed hot.  Really hot--even at night.  Soon the thunder came every day around 3pm followed by the breeze which cooled things down until around 7 when it got hot again.  For a couple of weeks, the thunder would come and the breeze and the clouds, but the rain wouldn't come.

Last week, though, came the waterfall fains!  Because our roof is tin, it sounds like you are in a cave behind a waterfall.  You can't hear anything except that sound.  You can't talk to the person next to you unless you are really good at reading lips.  It just rains.  I love that sound.  For a few nights, the waterfall rains came only at night.  I used to look forward to rain at night because then the air would cool off--not that first time.  It cooled off for just an hour or so and then it was still, muggy, and hot.  Having those fans was a huge blessing.

Now, the waterfall rains do cool things off and are beautiful to listen to as I am falling asleep.  The last few nights didn't just bring the rain--but lightning and lots of it.  Since our bedroom has windows on every side--which I love, the room flashes and glows for hours.  The rain sparkles in the lightning and I am reminded of how great our God is--just because of the weather.

So, the weather in August is a little different than those other months.  Now, that September is soon to be upon us, I know that the weather will continue to change.  We will have days when you step out of the shower a start sweating and days when you want a cup of hot chocolate and your sweats.  I love the changes the seasons bring--yes, we do have seasons in Haiti.


No comments:

Post a Comment