Sunday, July 15, 2012

5 Surprising and Humbling Words

The last two trips Al and I led have been in new locations where relationships are just beginning to be formed.  The pastors of these churches have been such a blessing and the teams we have led have been amazing to work with.  I have been blessed to remember not only why we do what we do, but that God continues to use us in different ways.  One way that I have been blessed, surprised, and humbled by is in hearing 5 words attached to my name.  Those words are "Will you translate for me?"

This is an exciting breakthrough for me that I didn't think would happen so soon, but God saw that it was time to give me understanding and words to translate.  It is a blessing and a surprise.  I didn't think it would be humbling, but now that those words are used so often all I can do is thank God for His provision in this area.  He is so good.

I have found that teams will often ask me to translate words and phrases for them in the past, but these last two weeks have been different because Haitian children, adults, and even pastors have asked for me to translate for them.  Wow.  Even though I always wanted to get to that point, I didn't think that it would come so suddenly.  Praise God.

On Sunday last week, Pastor Jacky called me up front and had me translate from Creole to English for the team even though there were other translators present.  He must have known I needed to be pushed just a little bit to start to have the confidence I needed to translate well and to get the first time behind me.  What a blessing.  I was nervous, scared, and humbled, but praise God that He truly did give me the understanding that I needed to translate well for the team.

I know this doesn't sound like much, but those 5 words were truly surprising and humbling to experience!  As we continue to lead teams, I am looking forward to many opportunities to use this language to be able to bridge the language barrier gap for teams to be able to minister and share their stories well.  I am also excited for the relationships that I will be able to form now with the help of God.

Thank You, God, for this blessing.  Thank You for choosing me to serve You here.  Please continue to use my tongue and my mind to bring You more glory.

2 comments:

  1. Cassie: So good to hear from you. We think of you and Al often! I cannot put into words how much our team loved being with you and Al, and all of the members of the Praying Pelican Team. We can't wait to go back! We have created a Haiti Video Channel to help us remember what we experienced in early June. Here is the link: https://vimeo.com/channels/358861

    I'll send you an invitation to our Flicker photo site soon. I just put it together and I'm learning how to use it. You will be able to download the pictures used in our videos. Thanks.

    God Bless!
    Stephen Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO AWESOME!!! We love and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete